Practicing the Wesleyan means of grace though conference, scholarship, and studying
- The 2017 Summer Institute on Theology and Disability will be hosted by Azusa Pacific University, in collaboration with Fuller Theological Seminary, just north of Los Angeles, California. The dates are June 5-8. Link to registration.
- Deaf Ministry Seminar: La Plaza UMC, 115 Paseo De La Plaza, Los Angeles CA, June 10, 2017, 9 a.m. - 12 noon. Information.
- Abilities Expo, a free event, will be in several cities. Link to website.
- May 5-7, 2017, New Jersey
- June 23-25, 2017, Schaumburg (Chicago)
- August 4-6, 2017, Houston
- September 8-10, 2017, Boston
- October 27-29, 2017, San Mateo
- December 2-4, 2017, DC
- January 19-21, 2018, Toronto
- The 4th Global Methodist Missions Conference of the Deaf will be August 1-4, 2017, in Waxahachie TX, link for information.
- Duke Spirituality and Health Workshops: August 14-18, 2017, in North Carolina. Link to website.
- ELDA/UMCD work trip to Jamaica Christian School for the Deaf, September 7-16. Link to website.
- Pacific Rim International Conference on Disability and Diversity, October 9-11, 2017 in Waikiki Beach. Link to website.
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is December 3. Link to website.
- Annual National Day of Mourning for disabled people killed by family members or others. Link to website.
- The United Nations General Assembly has named March 21 World Down Syndrome Day. This date was chosen because Down syndrome occurs when there are three copies of the 21st chromosome.
- The United Nations General Assembly has designated April 2 each year as World Autism Awareness Day.
- April 15 is National ASL Day, remembering the first Deaf school opening in 1817. Link to website.
- May 17, 2018: Global Accessibility Awareness Day is the third Thursday each May. Link to website.
Return to main page
By reporting on issues of concern to people with disabilities, Disability Ministries Committee of the United Methodist Church, the United Methodist Committee on Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Ministries, and the United Methodist Association of Ministers with Disabilities do not attempt to influence legislation, nor do they favor, oppose, endorse, participate in or otherwise intervene in political campaigns. All items of a political nature are reports only, and are open equally to all candidates. For information see IRS FS-2006-17.