Practicing the Wesleyan means of grace though conference, scholarship, and studying
A list of current events can be found in the most recent “News and Notes” at the UM Disability Blog.
August 29-September 6, 2022, Minneapolis: General Conference of the UMC
Here is a list of major recurring disability celebrations.
- January 4: World Braille Day celebrates the birthday of Louis Braille
- March 1: National Day of Mourning for disabled people killed by family members or others. Link to website.
- March 3: World Hearing Day, designated by World Health Organization to raise awareness on how to prevent deafness and hearing loss and promote ear and hearing care across the world.
- March 21: World Down Syndrome Day. This date was chosen because Down syndrome occurs when there are three copies of the 21st chromosome.
- April 2: World Autism Awareness Day.
- April 15: National ASL Day, remembering the first Deaf school opening in 1817. Link to website.
- April 16: Audio Description Awareness Day. Read more here.
- June 27: National PTSD Awareness Day
- July 26, 1990: Americans with Disabilities Act signed into law. Link to website
- September 23: International Day of Sign Languages.
- December 3: International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Return to main page
By reporting on issues of concern to people with disabilities, Disability Ministries Committee of the United Methodist Church, the United Methodist Committee on Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Ministries, and the United Methodist Association of Ministers with Disabilities do not attempt to influence legislation, nor do they favor, oppose, endorse, participate in or otherwise intervene in political campaigns. All items of a political nature are reports only, and are open equally to all candidates. For information see IRS FS-2006-17.